Speech # 1

Speech # 1

It was the beginning of the school year.  I was new to the class.  Everyone was new to each other.  College was still a fairly new concept to me, but I was ready.  I was ready as I could be to deliver my first ever speech, for my first ever speech class.  The room was full of mass communication majors, which I am, communication studies majors, and those looking for a core course to fill their graduation requirement.  Then there was me, an introvert, a shy young woman in the midst of this academically and experientially diverse crowd.

(Photo by earthworks.com)

I have to say, The Fundamentals of Speech Communication was one of my favorite classes.  I got the chance to learn about the lives and experiences of people who were very different than I am.  For our third speech, we had to persuade our peers to believe or at least open their minds to something that we did.  I did my persuasive speech on the benefits of learning a second language.  For speech two, we had to inform our classmates about a topic of cultural/societal importance in a manner that was easy to understand.  For this speech, I explained the developmental disorder Autism and its different forms.  During our first speech we had to talk about some cultural aspect of our lives in an informative fashion.  I chose to discuss my task of being captain of my high school pom squad.

(Photo by blackenterprise.com)

The four in a half to five minute speech took about two weeks to prepare.  After my professor finished making comments on the speech of the young man who preceded me, I slid out of my seat and began to walk toward the front of the class.  I don’t quite remember his speech fully, but I think it was about exploring abandoned houses.  If that wasn’t his first speech, then it was definitely his second.  When it was finally my time to go up, I stood behind the half podium that was mounted atop a miniature, wooden conference table and scanned the class.  It was full of people, humans who were different from me, but at the same time just like me.  What was there to nervous about?  I spoke as loud as I could trying to avoid the inaudible voice that sometimes came out of me when I was nervous and simply told my story.  The class stared attentively, with what seemed like unblinking eyes and politely listened.  After what seemed like a few minutes passed, I had finished the speech.  The professor said that it was good and that I smiled throughout.  From this class I was reminded about how much I enjoy public speaking and making presentations.  Although I’m a pretty quiet person, and sometimes shy, public speaking is something that I like doing and feel totally comfortable with.

(Photo by blossomnetwork.org)


I write these things in an unboastful manner to remind you to believe in yourself and the gifts that you know you have been blessed with.  As an introvert or a demure person, our gifts are not always as evident as those who have more outgoing personalities, but deep down, you know what they are and that you have them.  Don’t forget that you can pursue these gift and that they are there waiting to be used by you.



With Tenacity,

Unashamed Introvertish Girl

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top