Why I Don't Regret My Mass Communication Degree (De La Soul)



The summer before college, I carefully pondered what I would major in.  Wait, actually, that’s not fully accurate.  I thought about it until I got a headache.  I weighed the pros and cons of each of the career choices that bounced around in my head.  I did hardcore Google research.  I talked it over with loved ones, and I poured over my schools’ list of majors to the point where I started to memorize the descriptions of each, all while knowing deep down what I wanted to do.

Many students in this situation belong in a communications-oriented major.  Not because you’re lazy, not because you’re confused, but because what you want to do cannot be limited to a single major choice.  You most likely think very big and believe that you can change the world with the ideas floating around in your mind.  You probably want to help people badly, but you just cannot pick which way to do it.

You may be a mass communication major.

Each school differs in its categorization of the communication major.  My undergraduate university had both communication studies, which apparently deals with learning how to effectively communicate ideas in society and within groups for various reasons, and mass communication which was my major.  Mass communication majors had the option to choose between one or more of three concentrations including Journalism/New Media, Public Relations and Advertising.  My two were Journalism/New Media and Public Relations.  

One of the greatest perks of being a mass communication major, in my opinion, was not having to limit myself to one area of study.  As a mass communicator, you are constantly seeking to gain a thorough understanding of new subjects so that you can then share what you have learned with others.  For a long time, I have thought of myself as a sort of teacher of the masses.  

You will have to become well versed in different cultures, areas of study, and schools of thought, then find a way to effectively, concisely and creatively relay that information to specific groups of people.  You will also have to stay abreast of current events and the latest modes of communication.  It's definitely a major that will keep you on your toes, and it’s for anyone who absolutely loves learning.

Unfortunately, communications-oriented degrees are often looked down on in society as the opposite.  They are stereotyped as too easy or unnecessary by those who do not understand them.  

However, what many do not understand is the uncommon intelligence used in the field of  mass communication.  While quite a bit of what we do requires research and methodology, much of what we do is steeped in creativity.  As a mass communicator, many times, you will have to tap into areas of intelligence unknown to man.  This is what causes people to write the major off, fear of knowledge never before seen or skepticism because they do not yet know that it exists.  

If you want to play if safe, then don’t pick a communications related degree.

This is for those brave enough to explore and implement ideas that have not yet even been discovered. It’s for those who have the strength to go on intellectual journeys to unknown spaces, the discipline to infuse formula, and the heart to share what they learn with others.

I am proud to have chosen this major, and have already began using it in various ways.

Some may also tell you that the pay is not adequate, but if you’re anything like I’ve guessed you are, then you probably don’t care.  For communications majors, money is probably not the motive.  For others, it may be, and I’m not judging them because of it.  However, many mass communication majors are driven by a deep desire to make a difference in the world by learning how to use tools such as TV, radio, news publications, public relations programs, Ads, etc. to reach large groups of people with an important message.  This means you are probably burning to say something, and it’s something good.  

This is not to say that there aren’t lucrative opportunities within the field.  That's also a huge myth.  For some, higher salaries come after years of working.  For many, within the first few years of working, your salary will be equal or nearly equal to those with stereotypically higher paying salaries.  Some communications jobs even have salaries that start on the higher end.

Anyway, I think passion and drive to help others will override the focus on money, but it is good to know about salary so that you can determine what you want your life to look like financially.  I recommend checking the Bureau of Labor Statistics website, typing in prospective jobs on indeed.com or simply googling to find starting, mid-career and end of career salaries.

Anyway, the choice is yours.  My advice is to do what God lays on your heart no matter how unpopular the decision.  You will probably feel it down on the inside if this is truly what you’re meant to do.  Pray, discover your passion, then decide.

P.S. I’ve wanted to write this for the longest.  I feel like this post has been building up in my mind over the past four years.  If this helps someone you know who is contemplating whether or not to pursue a career in mass communications or anyone who would simply like to gain a greater perspective on the matter, feel free to send this to them.  I really hope this helps.


With Love,
The Unashamed Introvertish * Girl





CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top