The Following Weeks (New Friends)

The Following Weeks (New Friends)

The "door answerer" position lasted for a couple of weeks, then I decided to quit and take on a job that’s a lot more rewarding and a little more challenging for a young woman of the introverted nature.  I decided to quit sitting around my room and invest in some of the connections that I had made around campus.  One of the three extra-curricular activities that I have joined so far is a bible study group on campus.  This was a great opportunity to meet people who were just like me and to stay renewed in my Christian faith.  Of course there are always differences, but I’ve always been a firm believer that our similarities outweigh our differences.  It had been about my fourth Monday in college, just after an involvement fair which is a huge fair that colleges and universities have to showcase the many prospective extracurricular activities that a student looking to get involved around campus can join.  I found out about the student run group on my school’s involvement website and saw representatives from the bible study group at the involvement fair.  I grabbed a card with the meeting times and dates on them and on the following Monday, I decided to attend.  I didn’t know what to expect when I arrived, but I went with the intention of expecting something great.





I grabbed my student ID and key which I wore on a purple chain suspended from my neck, grabbed my purse, and I was off.  The meeting was held in my school’s union which is literally right across the street from my residence tower.  It was in a medium sized room right outside of one of my school’s main food courts.  I walked past groups of students eating, talking and studying in the popular area, and then there I was.  The room was so dim, I almost couldn’t tell whether or not anyone was in there; however, the atmosphere of the room was a pleasant and refreshing contrast to it exterior looks.  When I finally stepped into the room, I was greeted with a hug and a warm hello from a girl that I had never seen before.  She made me feel really welcome and comfortable despite the lingering feelings of nervousness and apprehension that tried to dominate me.  Throughout the introductory meeting, I meet several young women and a few young men who had the same kind and warm demeanor.  Mostly everyone was older than me, and had been at the university for at least a year.  This was the start of many valuable friendships that I still maintain to this day.  Because of joining this bible study group, I can say that for the most part, my college experience so far has not been a lonely one.  It has been an experience that I have been able to share with people whom I have strong commonalities with.





My college experience so far has not been without challenges and questionable instances, but I can honestly say, that it has been good.  Being in college has allowed me to realize many critical lessons that will faithfully remain in my soul forever.  One of these lessons is about living in the moment.  I’m a firm believer in planning for the future and bettering oneself now for later in life; however, too often we forget to enjoy the now.  When I look back at many self-proclaimed, “difficult” times in life, I smile with the newfound realization, that they really weren’t that bad.


With New Perspectives of Old Situations,

Unashamed Introvertish Girl 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top