Dealing with Stereotypes (A Hard Subject to Discuss)


Good Day to All Readers,

In college you meet a lot of different people.  And when I say different, I really do mean different.  People will be from different cities, different states, different countries, and different continents.  Although this fact is often overlooked, and college is never really looked at this way, it’s sort of like a melting pot.

Not only do people with different origins come together to learn, but people of different economic background, personality types, religions, educational interests, talents, gifts, resources and general perspectives on life come together to learn, live, and make up a richly diverse community.

It sounds beautiful.  And personally, I think it is; however, with the unification of such diverse individuals, sometimes comes questions and misconceptions.  The former, no matter how uncomfortable it may seem, is always better than the latter.

Here’s a story that I actually lived where this notion dropped into my soul. 

A few months ago, when I was in school, I was sitting at my desk staring at the wall.  Now, before you start to mentally dismiss me as crazy, think about how you start to feel when you’ve been doing homework for hours.  Okay, back to the story.  While staring into space and trying to refocus on my homework, I heard a very bold statement that brought me back to full attention.




The statement infuriated me more than anything.  It wasn’t a total shock because I had heard similar statements just weeks before, but none as frank.  Someone who had visited my room had confidently stated that everyone from my area was ignorant as (expletive).

This person is someone who I considered and still do consider a generally nice and respectable person.  However, the post is not about the person, it’s about the misconception. 

When I heard the statement I immediately responded that I was from the area that was mentioned.  I then began to think of all the family, friends and other people of importance to me that live there.  The statement was general and probably faceless as well.

When we state and believe the many stereotypes floating around in the abstract atmosphere of our minds, we often forget that people we know and see every day may be affected and fall under the category of what we say/believe. The person did not know that I was from the place being discussed and explained that the statement was not meant to offend.

Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and choice of words; however, it would be nice if we took each other into consideration and/or got to know each other a little better before we let misconceptions take over our lens on life and people.

Not with Judgment, but with Suggestion,
Unashamed Introvertish Girl

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top