The Beauty of Community Service

The Beauty of Community Service
 Good day to all readers,


Well, I tried to think of a poetic introduction to grab your attention and simultaneously express the nub of the post, but it took me a little longer than I thought it would.  I will just start off by telling you a little bit about the community service that I've been fortunate enough to participate in this year.  Community service doesn't really need an introduction.  Maybe that’s one of the reasons why it’s so enjoyable.  There’s no time to worry about saying the wrong thing, or the anxiety associated with introducing yourself to new people.  While you will often have to become familiar with people whom you've never before met, it only takes a few minutes or so, then you’re on to the task at hand.  It shows that life is so much better when the primary focus is not ourselves, but that will be discussed later on.


For now I want to take you back to one of my favorite instances of community service this year.  I want to rewind to last Saturday, exactly one week ago.  I don’t know how the weather was where you were, but here it was very warm and summery.  It was the type of day, you knew would have great weather because of the way the sun shone early in the morning.  When I slightly pulled back the thick beige curtain from the wide glass window of my residence tower the day seemed unusually shady.  Perhaps it was because we had endured such a long winter in my region that I had forgotten what a summer morning looked like.  It was spring, but you get the idea.  The sun seemed to shine in one spot and all of the surrounding area was full of shade.  After getting ready and putting on an outfit that I thought was suitable enough for four and a half hours of community service, I was off.  The day was actually a huge community service event for the entire university where pretty much every student group, organization, sorority and fraternity participated.  I was told where on campus we were to meet up in a text I received about two days earlier, and had a general idea where the field was on campus, but wasn't exactly sure. I ended up following a jagged, folksy line of students who looked like they were going to the event.  I was right. 



Over 1,000 students were signed up and split into different sections according to the student group that they signed up with.  Most groups were combined with other groups, and were put into categories together.  There were medium sized white picnic tents set up with light breakfast food which several students took advantage of.  I was a little anxious about the day ahead, and decided not to get anything.  Besides, I had eaten a little before I left.  After a few minutes of standing around, I changed my mind and decided to go get something.  When I got into the fast moving line of college students, I spotted what looked like a Danish and put it on my plate.  I thought I had picked up one of the circular sweet treats, but it was actually some type of Danish-looking refreshment with spinach and cheese.  I’m still not quite sure what it was that I ate that morning, but it did provide the opportunity for a sufficient amount of small talk. 






When every student was situated and handed a cotton t-shirt that read “The Big Event 2014” on it, the day had commenced.  Some groups took buses to their community service locations, while others took vans.  Others walked.  I was able to serve with my Christian campus fellowship group, so I knew pretty much everyone involved.  We were assigned to a residential home for at-risk girls and boys.  We shared this location with one of the fraternities on campus.  Upon our arrival, we were split into four groups: clean-up, car washing, basketball and arts and crafts.  Along with a few other students, I chose clean up.  We received black trash bags and rakes and got to work.  Together we raked leaves from around a picnic area.  After a few minutes, some of the young males that lived there dutifully joined us in the beautification process.  Raking leaves went by faster than we all thought and we all ended up at the car wash station where we spent most of the day.  Again we teamed up with the young residents, but this time we were given hoses, sponges, buckets and towels.  I've never washed that many cars before.  It was a physical, mental and spiritual exercise.  There’s something about working together to help those working for a better future that just makes humans feel good.  We all knew each other a little better by the end of the day and focused less on ourselves. 






No matter your personality type, community service is an activity where you’ll definitely fit-in.  No need to worry about seeming awkward or what you will talk about, because the task at hand will override any self-seeking thoughts.  You will have no choice but to focus on someone or several others that are not yourself.  If you ever feel like you want to engage in an enjoyable activity that won’t cause you to worry about matters that introverts and/or reserved persons often do before participating such as what you’ll talk about, or how you depict yourself, I encourage you to try community service.  What do you have to lose but a little energy and time?




With New Ideas and Interest,

Unashamed Introvertish Girl   

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top