The Door Answerer

The Door Answerer

Good Day to All Readers,

After the masses of social groups began to break down, people, as usual, began to settle into small cliques.  I was glad that people were finally getting settled and making friends that they would have for the rest of their lives, but I  still had the fear that I may be left out.  This fear was partly caused by what happened the weeks following the dissemination of the large social groups that were formed in the beginning of school year.  People quickly added and subtracted people from their social circles and that was that.  I began to focus intensely on my workload, much like I did in high school.  I was often times in my room, by myself at my desk, or on my bed doing my work.  My roommates were and still are very friendly to me, and we still have great discussions, but we're different people with different interests, so we began to hang out less.  As time went by, we began to meet new people.  One thing you find out and appreciate when you get into college is the freedom to spend time with friends whenever you want.  In most cases you both live on campus, or if not, chances are, the friends that you make do not live too far away from campus.  As a result of my roommates and I spending less time together combined with the fact that I had been closing myself up in my room a lot lately, I became a self - proclaimed door answerer.  People on the floor that I lived on became closer as a result of spending time in each other’s rooms, going to get food together, having the same classes etc.  After this period of quickly formed closeness,    several of my floor mates and occasionally students from other floors and buildings, began to knock on the door very, very frequently.  





Whenever they would come, they would take about a half a step forward, peep around   me, over my head or to my side, and then ask where's this roommate or where's that roommate. I would either    say, “I don't know,” tell them where they went, or take the occasional educated guess. When the year started, we had an open door policy; if anyone wanted to come in, they came in which was cool. However, as we began to  get into our actual workloads and college went into full blast, we began to keep our door shut.  Everyday after this quick befriending period, we began to have at least five knocks on the door per evening.  Most of the time my roommates weren't in the room, so I ended up being "The Door Answerer.”  It got tiring, and sometimes made  me wish I had visitors; however, I looked at it comically, and began to invest more time into my other friendships.  I still didn't have knocks on the door, but I did have texts on my phone. Also, every once in a while I went out with people on my floor, who I did have pretty good friendships with to events such as talent shows, basketball games and football games.  Our friendships might not have been as deep as some other the other close friendships on the floor, but they were still friendships, and I appreciated their kind inclusivness.  I was a   self - proclaimed door answerer for a while, but I can humbly say, I was a good one. 




With Good Quality Laughable Memories,
Unashamed Introvertish Girl




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top