A Letter From Lockdown: My Coronavirus Response


Dear Friends,

Life as we know it has changed. In just a few weeks, the entire country has had to come together and brace for impact to prepare for what some have compared to the first World Wars and what others have named the Silent Enemy. Many have been told to work from home for the next month while a few have been furloughed and even laid off. Things are different, but there’s at least one thing that has not changed amid the whirlwind that is 2020 and that’s the love of God.

Before I go into my thoughts about COVID-19 as a Christian, here are a few ways I’m surviving quarantine and how you can survive it too. 

Take a Step Back From Media
I’ll be the first to admit, I enjoy hearing the news. In fact, I studied journalism in college, so I have a different idea than most people today about the media. Even so, sometimes I have to turn it off to re-center myself. I have to make sure I’m monitoring what’s being impressed into my soul, and how much I’m taking in.

Open Your Blinds or Windows
The next step is very simple. If you can, get out of your seat for a few seconds and open your blinds or windows. Let the natural light rest on your face and the fresh air pump through your lungs. This gives the feeling of being outside without actually being outside. Now do me a favor and take a deep breath.

Stretch 
Stay standing for just a few more seconds for our next step. That’s it! Now, just freestyle. I don’t mean dance, but stretch. Pull out your favorite stretches and try them on for size. You can try stretches you do regularly at the gym, something you learned in your old dance class or even design your own, but be careful not to overdo it. Take it slow.

Play Your Favorite Inspirational Sermons
You can sit back down now. The next activity is great if you prefer to spend your days in quarantine relaxing not only your body, but also your soul, mind and spirit. Sit back, relax and watch or listen to that sermon or inspirational message that you’ve been putting off. This will take your mind off of everything that’s going wrong for a few moments and help fortify your soul for what the next days, weeks and months will bring.

Listen to Instrumentals
The next tip is for the music lovers. I encourage you to explore. No, not by going outside, but via wave, sound WAV. I love finding new instrumental genres that will occupy the noise in the back of my mind while working. The other day, I listened to one of my personal favorites - LoFi- and tried getting into classical. The choice is yours.

Turn on Relaxing Devices
Finally, it’s time to relax. Turn your living space into a spa. Make use of your relaxation devices like salt lamps or oil diffusers to make staying indoors more like a staycation than a lockdown. Don’t have any relaxation tools? That’s just fine. Use your phone to find free meditation apps, sounds or videos that have a similar effect.

Well, I hope you can use at least one of these tactics to make the best of right now — and realize that in life, even when COVID-19 is long gone, you will have to sometimes get creative with where you are and what you have. Make the best of today!

Love, 
Monet Alexus



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top