Love Track #9 Inception (Like the Movie)

What seems like 3 years ago, but was actually only about three months ago, I joined the UCLA Alumni Network on LinkedIn.  No, I am not an alumnae.  No, I have not yet graduated from college. And no, I do not go to UCLA.  

But I had to look almost everywhere for sources for my final feature story for my Core 9 Feature Writing Class.  Feature writing is a method used by journalists to creatively present news for newspapers, magazines, websites etc.  Sources in this case are the people from whom we collect insight for the story’s particular topic.  When we finish interviewing sources, we later turn their insight into quotes which make our news stories come alive (just in case you wanted a mini feature writing lesson).

Anyway, I had no idea that this story would take so much time, energy and hunting down people online.  I remember looking for sources from the day after my professor okayed the topic up until a few hours before the first draft was due.  I know what you’re thinking.  Mmm mmm. No. I didn’t wait until the last minute.

This was just a topic that was more difficult to find sources for than any other.  Journalism majors can relate (Feel free to share your most interesting, down to the wire, interviewing experiences below.  By your second semester, you should have had at least one.  If not, it’s coming.)

After much prayer, asking for help from older friends and twatching.  I finally found three people who were willing to share a small part of their lives with me.  After a few more emails and phone calls, I was also able to secure the expert opinion of two professionals with expert knowledge on the subject. 
You’ll want to follow these next few paragraphs very closely, this blog post is kind of like two stories in one, or more like four stories in one.  It’s like this movie I fell in love with when I was in 10th Grade, Inception (kind of).





So anyway, for my final feature story, I set out to find three recent graduates from three different areas who, despite pressure to major in one of society’s stereotyped more prominent fields, chose to follow their dreams, visions and passions and major in one of society’s stereotyped, less popular fields.

The insight and advice they gave was outstanding and even beautiful.  Because of these three individuals my story was full of lines about taking trips abroad and developing plans to strengthen other nations, establishing mentor-mentee relationships, teaching therapeutic dancing to young girls, making speeches at graduation because of exceptional academic performance and the advantages of simply taking risks and talking to well-known professionals in your field.

Hearing each of the individual’s stories was a great experience.

It reminded me of the beauty and power of walking in your purpose, using your God-given talents and abilities, perfecting them in school, and using them to help others.

Some people are good at good at math, while some people are good at writing.  Some people are good at speaking while other people are good at listening.  Some people are good at drawing while other people are good at singing. 

And of course many of us are multi-talented.

The point is, we all have something that we are good at.  No need to envy another person’s gift because you have your own.

It is in you.  Just find what it is, and be great at it. 


With All My Heart,
Unashamed Introvertish Girl



CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top