Love Track #5 The Most Beautiful People I Know

As I scrolled through my three social networks this afternoon, partly upset because I was experiencing writers block, I could not help but notice the tremendously growing emphasis that society has put on appearance.

It's like a top priority, rule and requirement now to look perfect at all times. I am NOT saying that you should not take pride in how you look, appreciate the  beauty that God has blessed you with or have fun with style.

I'm not challenging anyone, trying to make anyone feel bad, or prove anyone  wrong, but I am questioning a dangerous concept: superficiality.

It means on the surface, exterior, and a synonym I found was half-baked. Not  really sure why half-baked is a synonym, but you can analyze that later.

Society's insane obsession with looking good has driven many women and girls to step outside of the covering of modesty and begin to sell themselves short,    allowing everyone to see everything or enduring unhealthy and degrading hardships all in an attempt to look good.  Of course, as young ladies we all  obsess over our beauty from time to time, and we love to look good, but where’s the limit?

What is this? What's the point?  Is it the fear of not being considered good looking?  Is it the need to keep up with everyone else because they’re doing it? Do those who choose to do it really think it is okay? Is it necessary, in this day in age, to lose a little self-respect in order to gain a little societal-respect?

Those are just a few questions that come to mind when I reflect on the platform on which we place appearance.  I refuse to tear those down who do this. I just  wonder why. By the way, we build each other up here, not tear each other down.

There are two different points I'm touching on here: society's demand that we must look extremely good  at all times, and the new bare it and share it online craze.

Now that we've established that, I'll give my take on it. Obsessing over external appearance and/or baring it and sharing it are not necessary to be beautiful or to look edgy, or whatever the new slang word for looking good is.

Be free today, and not bound by society’s superficial definitions of beauty.  Like one of my favorite rappers Lecrae says “If you live for their acceptance, you’ll die  from their rejection.”

The most beautiful people I know don't have to do any of that, yet they glow.  Their beauty spills from their insides, blends with their outsides and creates an  overall, completely and truly beautiful person. When it all comes down to it, beauty doesn't really have that much to do with looks.

It's more about what you put out, from your insides than what you decorate your outsides with. 

Beauty is multidimensional.


Vigilantly,
Unashamed Introvertish Girl


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top