Love Track #2: That Scary Kind of Love

Good Day Readers,

I think we all should occasionally scare ourselves.  Scaring yourself means doing something so remarkably outstanding that you get nervous because you know you did good.  This something is something you never thought you would do, always knew you should have done, but never did…until now.  I plan to scare myself this semester.  I can think of all the times I scared myself, and what happened afterward.  I was never the same.  I was always a bit more fearless and a lot more confident.  A lot of times, when we’re young, we have adults, and other mature individuals along the way to help us scare ourselves.  These are people who care enough about you to make you scare the heck out of yourself.  I can remember when I was younger and I used to try to scare some of my younger cousins, who are now all preteens or teenagers.  I did not have any younger siblings, and for some reason, I thought this was so much fun and the most hilarious thing ever.  I would hide in my grandmother’s living room and wait to hear little footsteps while simultaneously trying with everything within me to hold back laugher.  When the moment was juuust right and the little footsteps turned into a wandering little person I would jump out and make a loud rarwing noise and the little person would then scream, run and jump before breaking out into laughter.  We both laughed at the end.  
As my younger relatives got older and wiser I was no longer able to find an obvious little hiding space and yell out a nonsensical onomatopoeias like “rarw.”  It was no longer scary and I stopped doing it.  
The same thing happens when it comes to the serious matters of life.  When we get older, we become more responsible for who we are.  We can no longer depend on people such as parents, teachers, and mentors to scare us into taking a chance at positive opportunities that come our way.  We have to push ourselves.  Of course it is possible to have people around that love you enough to push you, but the older you get the more this is something that you really have to want on your own.  It’s very likely that you’re an introvert if you’re reading this.  But don’t let that stop you from living, breathing and gracing this world with your God-given gifts and talents. Scare yourself.  I plan to do this more often, and when I do, I’ll probably tell you about it.  One of the last times I scared myself, I ended up talking to an award winning Washington, DC news anchor by email, and conducting an online interview with her.  I was really scared before I contacted her and thought about calling the whole thing off.  But I didn’t and she was very happy to assist me with my pursuit to become a broadcast journalist-yes, a broadcast journalist.  As a demure, introverted broadcast journalist, I’ll probably be scaring myself for the rest of my life.  You can do it.  Don’t let unhealthy, perceptions of yourself stop you from being great and who you ARE destined to be.


With Some New Ideas for Scare Tactics,
Unashamed Introvertish Girl

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top