Getting to Know You

Getting to Know You

Good day Introverts, Reserved Ones, and All

Today I want to talk about meeting new people. I know I’ve talked your ear off about the fact that I’m about to go to college….but I’m not done just yet. This is a major move for anyone in this position especially introverts. One thing that I noticed, about this process is that lots of incoming freshman, not only those from my university, but from all universities was that on all three of my social media platforms, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, everyone has already started to meet one another. How about that? Social media is really serving its purpose. There are Class of Seventeen (my college graduation year) groups everywhere. I’m apart of one, on Facebook, but that’s about it. I also find large groups of my classmates by hash-tagging them on Twitter. From what I’ve twatched, everyone seems to know who they want to hang out with already. I don’t. So I followed two people from my class on Twitter. It felt kind of weird and I was really reluctant to do so. I haven’t gotten any follow backs or anything yet, but I just added them a few hours ago. From this I realized how fierce the socializing is. Think about it, people are closing in their social circles already even if they are digital. I really didn’t see the need to get to know all of these people who I probably won’t even ever see or have classes with. It’s not like I have a mean intent; I just simply didn’t understand all the fuss. I guess that’s part of being an introvert. I want to meet new people and have new friends, but hopefully I don’t come off the wrong way which is what I have done in many instances. So I have decided to learn from my mistakes. I have decided to be a little more welcoming, but at the same time ensure that I don’t lose myself meaning forget who I am or try to be someone that I’m not. I don’t really like the process of digitally meeting people, but that’s only my opinion. To each is own. I’d rather just seize the moment at orientation. So that leads up to the main point. There is a lot riding on this orientation that I’m attending this Saturday. We’ve all most likely been in this position. I can recall the beginning of many events where I was in a new setting and I just sat there while everyone else maybe slowly but surely, or maybe quickly began to socialize, and as time progressed I realized that I wasn’t close to many people in that particular group. I plan to change that in college. During orientation I will still be true to myself, but I will join the group of socializing peers. From the times when socializing was successful, I remember a few of the questions that I asked and the phrases that I said. Good things to ask a person when you first meet are about their origin (where they are from, past schools, jobs whatever seems fitting for the occasion), another thing to ask about is clubs/organizations that they may be apart of or plan on joining. It’s also important to give a little back to the conversation to let them know that you are there with them and that your mind is not somewhere else. Do whatever is most comfortable for you but don’t be afraid to take a little risk. Pray for courage and the words to say and let your light shine. There is a great, truequote that my cousin used in his speech last Sunday it says, “The biggest risks are the one’s not taken.” This quote has several origins it seems and several people have said this quote in many different ways. Its true. So take a risk that if you know is taken could immensely change your life in a POSITIVE way. No use in taking risks that could change your life immensely in a negative way. You’ll know which is which when you really stat thinking about it.

 

Right Here With You,

Unashamed Introvertish Girl

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top