Prom Part One

Prom Part One

Good Day Introverts, Reserved Ones and All Visitors,

Today’s entry is a topic that I had been saying that I would talk about for a long time.  Today I want to talk to you about that one event that seems so far away when you enter high school as a freshman.  Its that illustrious day that’s portrayed on television sets everywhere as the “best day ever!”  Yeah, that day that seems so surreal, that you say to yourself as you get ready, “Am I really here?  Am I really about to graduate?”  Today I want to talk to you about my experience at prom.  I have given you snippets of information about how it was in general and for me, but I have never dedicated an entire post to prom.  So here it goes.  The official last day of school during my senior year happened to be the same day as prom, May 17th.  The last two weeks of high school were very exhausting  and monotonous.  I spent the last two weeks of school completing standardized tests in order to get college credit.  During this time, I was also finishing up one of many very rigorous projects that also went towards my college credit.  So I was really focused on getting all of these strenuous tasks finished.  I was so looking forward to the end that when it came, I almost forgot to celebrate and be glad about it, but believe me, I was.  That day I stayed in school until about 10:45 a.m. finishing up my last tests and turning in my last piles of books.  No one was really emotional because we had prom that night and other senior events coming up including the senior baccalaureate service , parent appreciation day, graduation rehearsals and grad night.  Regardless of how shy and introvertish I was, I knew that I definitely did not want to miss prom.  After I finished my last test, my mom picked me up and we went home.  I had a few chores to do, but before that I sat down for the one moment that a girl may or may not get the day of prom.  I sat down and fathomed what was actually happening, I had finished my tests, completed my last day of high school, and in a few hours I was headed to prom.  Wow.  I only had a few minutes to do this because I still had to get ready.  After my chores were done, I went off to the hair dresser and got a nice formal hairstyle, next I went to my local JCP store’s make up section to get my make up done.  The make up artist chatted with me as she did my make up.  There, my aunt from a few cities away met us and bought me this pretty shade of red lipstick.  Next we rushed home to complete the next part of the prom process.  Thinking back on it, it’s so funny how stressful preparing for prom can be for a girl, but it’s a fun kind of stressful that pays off in the end.  I felt neutral, not very nervous, and not very excited, but all in all I was content with the situation.  Soon, the doorbell began to ring repeatedly as family members came to the house to see me off.  My  sister and aunt came up to my room to assist my mom with getting me ready as if I needed three people to dress me, lol! Since it was prom, however, it was perfectly normal and I was truly grateful for their help and more importantly their support.  I chose a spicy red dress that had a haltered top and ruffled bottom.  It came above just above my knees and had a beautiful floral theme of blossoming roses.  As soon as I tried it on, I felt that this was totally me.  I accented my dress with gold accessories.  When the doorbell rang a final time, it was my prom date and his family.  I waited upstairs with my mom, and aunt as someone opened the door.  I didn’t see who it was because I was upstairs.  After tons and tons of pictures,  and one video call from his sister who saw us prepare to leave via cell phone, we were off.  The sunset was so pretty that day as we rode downtown.  We chatted lightly as his mom and dad discussed the directions on the GPS system and other random topics.  He was a quiet person also and I had known him for a long time so it wasn't nerve racking or anything.  As we rode downtown to the location where the prom was to be held, we passed two proms from two other schools from the same county as ours.  When we pulled up to the doors of the fairly new hotel, my prom date’s father rolled down the truck’s window and a chauffeur greeted us.  We didn't see anyone else so we didn't know whether or not we were in the right place.  After my prom date’s father asked about whether or not we were in the right place, the chauffeur said yes and we went in.  It was before 9:00 which was the time the prom was set to start so we had to wait outside of the door in the hotel‘s upper lobby.  We were among the first students to arrive.  We checked in and stood outside of the door for a while until I saw a former classmate of mind coming toward us….

To be Continued

With a Peaceful Heart,
Unashamed Introvertish Girl
Photo from Onewed.com

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top