Sobriety (21 The Blog Series)


It’s no surprise that we are living in hostile times.  I don’t have to give you any examples because I’m pretty sure you already know what they are.  Emotions are stirred and stronger than ever.

I cannot say I know exactly how you feel, but I can say I have felt several strong emotions over the past few days like many others.  I’m human and I have emotions.  That is normal.  It’s okay to feel.

It’s easy for anyone regardless of who you are or what you believe to be pulled into the feral, mix of emotions that the nation is currently feeling and quickly get worked up.

As Christians, I believe now more than ever is the time for us to strengthen our relationships with God and get to know Him better.  I think it’s important for us to be spiritually aware of what is occurring in this day and age and remember that we are in the world, but not of it.  Romans 12:2 says:

“And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”
~Romans 12:2

Another scripture that the past few days remind me of is 1 Peter 5:8 that says:

“Be sober, be vigilant; because[a] your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”
~1 Peter 5:8

If we are not sober (as in clear-minded and focused), and renewing our minds, then we too will get caught up, and before we know it we will be outside of God’s will saying something we wish wouldn’t have or doing something we regret.  I think the best way to do this is to be led by God rather than our emotions.  I am not saying that we should turn a blind eye to what is going on.  I’m not.  However, I do believe that we should be Christ-like in the way we assess, navigate and react to situations. 

Before I act on something, I think about where my motivation for doing so is coming from, and whether or not what I do properly represents the God that I serve. 

I am not doing this to please people, though I do love and care about people, I am doing this to honor God.

There are a lot of misrepresentations of God and inaccurate portrayals of Christianity floating around in this day and age.  Let’s show the world who God really is through our actions, our words and our lifestyles.  Let’s stick together and not let the attacks of the enemy divide us.  Let’s love one another in spite of differences, and when necessary, speak about problems in a graceful way.  Let’s stay prayed up and let’s stay firm in what we believe.

Let’s put on the whole armor of God and together make Him proud!

Other Helpful Scriptures

“A soft answer turns away wrath,
But a harsh word stirs up anger.
~Proverbs 15:1

Do not answer a fool according to his folly,
Lest you also be like him.”
~Proverbs 26:4

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[a] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
~Ephesians 6:12

“Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”
~Ephesians 6:13


 Have any other helpful scriptures? Feel free to comment below!




CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top