An Open Letter to the Class of 2017 (De La Soul)


On May 26, the cool breeze from the window beside my bed pushed through my thick curtains and hit my face, waking me up from a probably not so deep sleep.  

It's almost like I went to sleep one night in August of 2013, woke up, and it was graduation day.  That’s how quickly it seemed to go by.  Anyway, I literally woke up thanking God that day.  It was really early (according to college time).  It was around 6:30 a.m. and graduation was at 3:30 p.m.

A few hours later, my family and I were on 295 headed to Baltimore County.  I took it all in for the last time (until I visit again), like it was the first time, even though I had my eyes closed trying to take a nap on most of the trips back to Towson from home (it was almost like the first time).

When we finally got there, we stopped by my apartment for a few minutes to finish getting ready, met some family members, then parted ways, just like when I was dropped off four years ago.

The room was overflowing with hope, excitement and humble pride.  We made it!  Students chatted casually discussing future plans, strangers turned friends snapped photos and everyone anticipated 3:30, most with a stomachs half anxious and half enthusiastic.

After a quick line-up, then what seemed like a long waiting period (since my last name begins with ’S’) we were in the auditorium along with those who had supported our journeys and bid us farewell not too long ago.

The excitement and feelings of joy persisted throughout the ceremony and showed up in the form of claps, shouts and grins.  By the end of the ceremony and throughout the rest of the next week, those cap and gown clad butterflies flew around in our stomachs.  We rode cloud nine until the last stop.

Though my butterflies have flown away and transitioned from warm feelings to tangible ideas, and my clouds have disappeared into applicable actions, I am still excited.

I hope to always be excited.

A few days before graduation, I remembered that college is like a world inside of a world.  As soon as we arrive we are inspired more than we ever have been and believe more than we ever have in our ability to change the world.

Complacency, a few no’s and exhaustion can easily wipe away this mindset.  I want to encourage EVERY college student a part of the class of 2017 to stay excited.  Staying excited means staying inspired.

Don’t give up on the vision that God has placed in your heart.  Don’t give up on the people you have always wanted to impact, and don’t give up on yourself.

You did it these past few years and you can do it for the rest of your life.  I truly believe in you and the power that God has placed within you.

Jeremiah 29:11 does not expire because you graduated.  I wish you the best.

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
~Jeremiah 29:11 (NKJV)


Love,

The Unashamed Introvertish* Girl

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Back
to top